miércoles, 19 de mayo de 2010

My job


I am a Scientist and I work on the Institute for Sustainable Agriculture (IAS).

In general I study the use of new technologies (remote sensing) in agriculture. Particular I study precision agriculture (precision farming or site specific agriculture).

Precision agriculture takes into account the spatial variability of biotic factors such as weeds and pathogens, and of abiotic factors such as nutrients or water content, and uses diverse technologies to apply fertilizers, pesticides or other inputs at variable rates, fitted to the needs of each small defined area.

Remote sensing is an important tool in precision agriculture since it can provides mapping of biotic factors such as weed patches or fertility levels, among other factors.

In my studies I use every kind of remote images available. Such as, satellite images (QuickBird and GeoEye-1), aerial images and Unmaned aerial vehicle (UAV) images.

Recently, I have published a new method to do site specific application herbicide maps by the use of aerial images.

Now I am studying the way to improve georeferenciation process, making it automatically. For this purpose I have developed a series of Artificial Terrestrial Targets (I call it ATT), that I place in the study sites. I have developed specific software that can locate ATT in the remote image and does the coregistration process semiautomatically.

The next step in my work, among others, is to develop a remote image calibration system and a cropping systems classification. Both systems will allow me to do an automatic recognition of every land use in the image and to compare images at different dates. I have started this studies but I am still focused in coregistration procedures.

I went to a lot of congress in precision farming and weed management and I did some papers and a lot of seminars. Next September I am going to do a seminar in Berlin.

Although I am a very busy scientist everybody thinks I spent my time doing nothing.

1 comentario:

  1. I am a Scientist and I work in the Institute for Sustainable Agriculture (IAS).

    In general I study the use of new technologies (remote sensing) in agriculture. Particularly, I study precision agriculture (precision farming or site specific agriculture).

    Precision agriculture takes into account the spatial variability of biotic factors such as weeds and pathogens, and of abiotic factors such as nutrients or water content, and uses diverse technologies to apply fertilizers, pesticides or other inputs at variable rates, fitted to the needs of each small defined area.

    Remote sensing is an important tool in precision agriculture since it can provide mapping of biotic factors such as weed patches, fertility levels, and among other things.

    In my studies I have used every kind of remote imaging available. Such as, satellite images (QuickBird and GeoEye-1), aerial images and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) images.

    Recently, I have published a new method to do site specific herbicide application maps by the use of aerial images.

    Now, I am studying how to improve the georeferenciation process by making it automatic. For this purpose I have developed a series of Artificial Terrestrial Targets (I call them ATT), that I can place on the study sites. I have developed specific software that can locate the ATTs in the remote image and can do the coregistration process semiautomatically.

    The next step in my work, among others, is to develop a remote image calibration system and a cropping system classification. Both systems will allow me to automatically recognize all the land use in the image and to compare images at different dates. I have started this study but I am still focused in coregistration procedures.

    I have been to many congresses for precision farming and weed management and I have done some papers and have given many seminars. Next September, I am going to give a seminar in Berlin.

    Although I am a very busy scientist, everybody thinks I spend my time doing nothing.

    ResponderEliminar